Monday, April 11, 2016

Faith

"Foolishness. Absolute foolishness! Look, I'm not questioning your belief in Jesus. He's great. He saved you, and you want to 'live for Him'. And I even understand wanting to go into the ministry you're in. But moving to a new town with no regular income, no savings, no set plan to get a regular job, no life experience on your own, volunteering all your hours, just because you think God told you to go? Are you stupid? This is irresponsible! You can't live like this, it doesn't work that way. Look man, I'm not against trusting God, but are you really willing to put yourself so far out there? Everything could completely collapse! This is real life. Grow up. Are you really going to expect God to take care of what you're going to eat, car insurance, give you a place to sleep, etc? There's no reason to be so radically dependent on God."

These weren't the words of an unbeliever, or an elder Christian, or a conservative Christian. They were my own. I had this conversation with myself and wondered if what I was doing was foolish. Indeed, it all does seem kind of foolish. I mean, who would get up and go when they had no idea where their next meal would come from, or how they would be taken care of?

Right now, I have miscellaneous change around my room and my car adding up to roughly 50 cents, and 90 cents left in my bank account. Yet I have enough food to last me a couple weeks, a bed to sleep in, cell service to keep in touch with people, and somehow a peace that God will provide. Even if I were to die destitute, I'd die in peace, knowing I was living obediently by sharing and equipping children with the Good News of Jesus Christ.

However, having gas in my car is a luxury that is a bit more necessary. Because of IRS laws, CEF policy, and other factors, when people send support to my CEF account I don't automatically begin receiving wages. Right now I am only reimbursed for my expenses, working as many hours as I wish. When I raise enough support (Which I'm very close) I will be able to do ministry 10 hours a week. The problem is, if I am working 10 hours a week, I cannot volunteer any extra hours. (Although I don't want to diminish the importance of the people who do give that way, as it will soon be my main source of income) When Summer comes, that greatly diminishes my ability to be effective. I am praying that God would raise up people to partner through personal gifts, and their gifts would see me through to the end of Summer, when I can cut back on hours without sacrificing quite so much ministry, and if necessary I will have time to find other ways to supplement my income. (i.e. get an additional part time job)

I pray that God is with you all, and I thank you for your continual prayers.

Joshua Treadway
joshua.treadway@cefofwa.com

No comments:

Post a Comment